Malibu High School School Site Council (SSC) Bylaws
ARTICLE I - NAME OF COUNCIL
The name of this council shall be the Malibu High School Site Council (SSC).
ARTICLE II - PURPOSE & GOALS
Malibu High School Site Council exists to engage in ongoing long-range school improvement planning using a shared decision making process. The goals of the Malibu High SSC are:
- to carry out the duties and responsibilities assigned to it in the Education Code of the State of California,
a. to ensure high academic performance of all students to the level of the performance goals, as established by the Academic Performance Index (API) by creating, including a budget, the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA)
b. to, upon approval by the Board of Education, implement, monitor and revise the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA), which are to be done in collaboration with the principal, teachers, other school personnel, parents, and students.
- to serve as an open forum for discussion, planning and implementation regarding issues important to the Malibu High School community.
ARTICLE III - CONSTITUENTS
The constituents of the Malibu High SSC shall be comprised of:
- all students regularly enrolled on a full-time basis and attending Malibu High School;
- all teachers and staff members regularly employed at Malibu High School;
- all parents or legal guardians of any full-time Malibu High School student, or who have primary responsibility for the maintenance and welfare of a full-time Malibu High School student.
ARTICLE IV - CONSTITUENT MEETINGS
Section 1: General meetings of the constituents shall be held for the purpose of selecting members of the Malibu High SSC, receiving reports, and transacting such business as may properly come before the meeting.
Section 2: Special meetings of the constituents may be called by a majority of the Malibu High SSC or by the principal.
Section 3: Notice of each meeting of the constituents shall be given to the constituents in a manner reasonably calculated to afford not less than 15 days notice of the meeting date; provided, however, that mailed or personal delivery of notice shall not be required. Notice of special meetings of the constituents shall specify the matters to be considered at the special meeting, and no business other than that specified in the notice shall be transacted at any such special meeting.
Section 4: No quorum shall be required for the transaction of business at any general or special meeting of the constituents.
Section 5: Each constituent shall be entitled to one vote on any business that may properly come before any general or special meeting of the constituents. Absentee or proxy voting shall not be permitted.
ARTICLE V - COMPOSITION
Section 1: The Malibu High SSC shall include representation of parents, students and staff. The SSC shall be constituted to ensure parity between (a) the principal, classroom teachers, and other school personnel; and (b) equal numbers of parent members and students.
- The SSC shall consist of 16 members:
- Teachers - to include 1 middle school teacher and 1 high school teacher
- Other School Personnel Parents - to include 1 middle school parent and 1 high school parent
- Students - to include 1 middle school student and 1 high school student
Section 2: The principal shall be an ex officio member. Respective groups select all other members: teachers selected by teachers at the school, other school personnel selected by other school personnel at the school, parents selected by parents, and students selected by students. The standards of eligibility for selected members shall be:
- Principal - The principal of Malibu High School;
- Teacher - Any tenured certificated teacher who maintains a full-time teaching assignment;
- Other School Personnel - Any tenured out-of-the classroom certificated personnel, or any classified staff member employed for no less than six hours per day at Malibu High;
- Parent - Any adult who is a parent or legal guardian of any full-time Malibu High School student, or who has primary responsibility for the maintenance and welfare of a full-time Malibu High School student. No employee of the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District employed at Malibu High School may serve as a parent member;
Student - Any student regularly enrolled on a full-time basis and attending Malibu High School.
Section 3: A member shall no longer hold membership should he or she no longer meet the membership requirements under which he or she was elected.
Section 4: The Council, by affirmative vote of two-thirds of the members, can suspend or expel a member.
Section 5: Membership in Malibu High SSC is not transferable or assignable.
Section 6: Any member may resign by filing a written resignation with the Malibu High SSC.
Section 7: In the event a vacancy in the Malibu High SSC should occur for any reason not otherwise provided for in the by-laws, members of the Council shall publicly submit candidates from the school community, and the Council, by majority vote, shall fill such vacancy.
ARTICLE VI - OFFICERS
Section 1: The officers of the Malibu High SSC shall consist of a chairperson, a secretary, and such other officers as the Council may, by majority vote, elect.
Section 2: Officers of the Malibu High SSC shall be elected annually by the vote of all members no later than the second regular meeting of the SSC. Each officer shall serve for one year, or until his or her successor has been elected.
Section 3: The chairperson shall preside over all regular and special meetings of the Malibu High SSC and all regular and special meetings of the constituents. The chairperson, in consultation with the principal, will prepare, post and distribute the agenda for Council and constituent meetings. The chairperson shall carry out such other duties as the SSC may require.
Section 4: The secretary shall record the minutes and prepare them for approval by the Council.
Section 5: The principal, while not an officer, will advise the Council regarding procedures and assist constituents with member selection. The principal will also maintain possession of the records of the Malibu High SSC. Additionally, the principal shall carry out such other duties as the Council may require.
Section 6: An officer may be removed for good cause by a two-thirds vote of all members of the Malibu High SSC whenever, in the judgment of the Council, the best interests of the Council would be served thereby. Removal of officers may only take place at a meeting that shall have been noticed and called in accordance with the requirements outlined within these by-laws.
Section 7: A vacancy in any office shall be filled by the vote of the Malibu High SSC for the remaining portion of the term.
ARTICLE VII - COUNCIL MEETINGS
Section 1: The regular meetings of the Malibu High SSC shall not be held less than once each calendar month during the school term, at Malibu High School, at such date and time as a majority of the Council may determine.
Section 2: Special meetings may be called at any time by the chairperson, by the principal of Malibu High school, by a majority of the Malibu High SSC, or by other member designated by the chairperson. Written notice to members is to be received at least 24 hours before the time of such meeting. The call and notice shall specify time and place of the special meeting, and business to be transacted. No other business shall be considered at the meeting other than what is contained in the notice. Written notice may be dispensed with as to any member who, at or prior to the time the meeting convenes, files with the secretary a written waiver of notice. The written notice may also be dispensed with as to any member who is actually present at the meeting at the time it convenes.
Section 3: All meetings shall be open to the public. At least 72 hours before a regular meeting, the agenda shall be posted in a location freely accessible to the members of the public. The agenda shall specify the time and location of the regular meeting and contain a brief general description of each item of business to be transacted or discussed at the meeting.
Section 4: Excluding the principal, attendance by eight (8) Malibu High SSC members constitutes a quorum for any meeting of the Council.
Section 5: The Malibu High SSC shall strive for consensus. When voting occurs, the principal of Malibu High School shall have no vote. Each other member shall be entitled to one vote and may cast that vote on each matter submitted to a vote of the Malibu High SSC. A passing vote requires a majority of the members present, except as provided in Article V, Section 4.
Section 6: Except as provided to the contrary by these by-laws or by a majority of the Malibu High SSC, Education Code §34147(c) "The Greene Act" shall govern the conduct of business (see Appendix A).
ARTICLE VIII - MEMBER SELECTIONS
Section 1: Each constituency of teachers, other school personnel, parents and students is responsible for selecting its respective Malibu High SSC members: teachers selected by teachers at the school, other school personnel selected by other school personnel at the school, parents selected by parents of actively enrolled students, and students selected by actively enrolled students.
Section 2: Selection of members by respective constituency shall be conducted annually to coincide with seating of a full council for the first meeting in January of each school year. Each constituency group of teachers, other school personnel, parents and students is responsible for overseeing selection procedures for each group including notification to the full constituency group of vacant positions and procedures for selection.
Section 3: Teachers, other school personnel, and parents are selected for a term of two (2) years. Students are selected for a term of one (1) year. Starting in January 2008, terms of office shall commence with the first meeting of the Malibu High SSC in January of each school year. However, in order to achieve staggered membership, 3 teachers and 2 parents will serve a one-year term only starting January 2008, and ending December 2008, afterwards all terms shall be two years in length.
ARTICLE IX - COMMITTEES
Section 1: The Malibu High SSC may, as necessary, establish committees. Members of a committee may be appointed by the chairperson, the principal, or by the majority of the Council. Non-members of the SSC may be appointed to serve on any committee provided the Council designates a member to serve as a liaison between the Council and the committee.
ARTICLE X - AMENDMENTS
Section 1: These bylaws may be amended by a majority vote of the Malibu High SSC.
Approved Approved May, 1999
Revised May 9, 2001
Revised October, 2001
Revised Revised April, 2007
School Site Council & Advisory Committee
Procedural Meeting Requirements
"The Greene Act"
Education Code §34147(c)
1. Any meeting held by a council or committee shall be open to the public and any member of the public shall be able to address the council or committee during the meeting on any item within the subject matter jurisdiction of the council or committee.
2. Notice of the meeting shall be posted at the school site, or other appropriate place accessible to the public, at least 72 hours before the time set for the meeting. The notice shall specify the date, time, and location of the meeting and contain an agenda describing each item of business to be discussed or acted upon.
3. The council or committee may not take any action on any item of business unless that item appeared on the posted agenda or unless the council or committee members present, by unanimous vote, find that there is need to take immediate action and that the need for action came to the attention of the council or committee subsequent to the posting of the agenda.
4. Questions, or brief statements made at a meeting by members of the council, committee or public that do not have a significant effect on pupils or employees in the school or school district or that can be resolved solely by the provision of information need not be described on an agenda as items of business.
5. If a council or committee violates the procedural meeting requirements of this section and upon demand of any person, the council or committee shall reconsider the item at its next meeting, after allowing for public input on the item.
6. Any materials provided to a school site council shall be made available to any member of the public who requests the materials pursuant to the California Public Records Act.
- to carry out the duties and responsibilities assigned to it in the Education Code of the State of California,