Will Rogers Learning Community Facility Improvements
Will Rogers Learning Community Future Facility Meeting, March 1, 2022
Thank you for coming out on March 1, 2022 to support our Future Facility Community Meeting!
Watch Will Rogers Future Facility Community Meeting presentation here
Will Rogers Learning Community Future Facility Meeting Questions and Comments section:
- Is the District considering changing the toilets to a more efficient model in order to save water?
- New outdoor classroom site rendering: Amazing to have more outside seating.
- Proposed site plan Phase #2: Great idea! - student.
- Outdoor/indoor rendering: Tables on wheels and integration of solar panels is a must.
- Interested on how safety concerns regarding school shooters. Where do students hide on campus?
- Concern of mine is privacy from neighboring apartments.
- Just keep the handball somewhere…we love it! Excited about more TK!
- New STEAM and MakerSpace renderings: Private space is good - keeps it separate from road.
- Want to see parking on-site.
- Organic materials please.
- Glass sliding doors should retain the historic window configuration…dimensions of existing window patterns.
- Outdoor garden/mud/water/stream table play?
- Electrical outlets. Mixed age space is a cool concept!
- More trees and plants.
- Would love to see these ideas for older kids as well…shop, welding etc.
Draft Historic Resources Reports
The Board of Education adopted the Historic Resources Policy (BP & AR 7113) at their February 9, 2021 meeting. They directed the review of the facility by historic resources consultants to determine potential historic resources. Attached are the historic resources reports prepared by the Architectural Resources Group and Historical Resources Group. These reports identify facilities that would potentially be considered eligible for listing under the National Register of Historic Places, California Register of Historical Resources, or City of Santa Monica Designated Historic Resources.
Will Rogers Learning Community: https://bit.ly/FIPHRRRGRS
Executive Summary of Historic Resources visit: https://bit.ly/FIP22HRRSUM
The Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District is moving forward with its extensive modernization and construction projects at Will Rogers Learning Community. Check out what we’re completing:
Watch what we’ve done at Will Rogers here: https://bit.ly/FIPRGRS22
Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- The new HVAC system provides fresh ventilated air, more efficient heat in the winter and cooling in the summer.
- Thermostats will allow the systems to be sustainable.
- The new HVAC systems are now in use, providing students a comfortable learning space and a healthier, safer environment during the pandemic.
Fire Alarm Systems
- The new alarm system is voice activated.
- System identifies the specific room in trouble.
- The existing fire alarm systems at Grant will remain functional until the new systems are completely certified by the end of April.
- This should reduce false alarms.
- The new furniture supports flexibility, and allows for differing modes of learning, thus, improving student engagement.
- New student desks have been installed throughout classrooms.
New Classroom Technology
- New light emitting diodes
- State-of-the-art projectors for whiteboards
Exterior Painted and New Windows
- Fresh coat of paint on the trim.
- Window features were replaced throughout campus, which helps bring in natural lighting.
- New carpeting installed.
- Non-wax flooring throughout classrooms.
- Walk off mats at every entrance.
- Interior of classrooms painted.
- Security cameras have been fully installed, programmed and staff have been trained in the operation of the security system.
- Security cameras are located around the perimeter of the campus and outdoor areas.
- They will support increased safety and property management.
New bells, clocks, public address systems and an upgraded intrusion alarm system.
What’s next: Planning Future Projects
Architects and district staff are working to envision possible projects to improve the campus to help prepare for the ways children will learn in and help prepare students for 21st century jobs.
In June, an online community meeting was held, during which the campus assessment, which includes proposed changes to campus, was presented.
Based on feedback from that meeting and meetings with educators, administrators and staff, architects are fine tuning the proposals, estimating costs and proposing the order in which projects would be done. Chosen projects would be funded by bonds from Measure SMS, passed by voters in 2018.
Another meeting will be held in September. When it’s available, you’ll be able to find the meeting schedule on the campus assessment page. You’ll also be able to learn more about the campus assessment process itself.
Safety and security projects
Visitor verification: If you’re a parent, you’ve likely seen the visitor verification system now in use across the district. It helps staff know who people are and who is on campus.
Cameras: We are finishing up a perimeter camera system pilot project at Samohi and will be rolling that out districtwide.
Electronic locks: This coming project will not only allow doors to be secured remotely in an emergency, but also allows keycard access that can be more easily managed than dozens of keys.
Earthquake shut-off valve: In a significant seismic event, this shuts down natural gas supply to the campus, reducing the risk of fire. Completed in 2019.
Modernization and other completed projects
In 2018, the district completed a round of modernization updates on the Rogers campus, including:
- New paint in all interiors and on exterior trim
- New doors
- New flooring in most interior spaces
- New windows
- Repairs to air conditioning units in the portable classrooms
Former church property: The district acquired the site at 16th and Maple in 2019 and improved it to allow swing-space parking during construction of the new John Adams Middle School Performing Arts Center. The long-term use of the property is being planned.
Rogers Facilities Update - Fall 2021
Building Futures / Futuro do los Edificios