Students must attend class unless excused by an administrator at the request of a parent or teacher, or the student is participating in a school-related activity. Students are responsible to attend all classes, to be on time, and to come prepared for instruction.
Samohi’s attendance policy requires students to restore unexcused absences once they accrue 18 or more period absences. They can restore these absences by attending Super Saturday/Tutoring/On Campus Community Service etc. Restoring unexcused absences does not clear attendance from Illuminate as this is legal documentation of classroom attendance. Due to state and district policies, students will continue to receive notifications from the district regarding excessive absences/truancy
All students returning from an absence must first report to their House Office.
Short Term Independent Study Information Sheet
Each day a student is absent, the parent or guardian will receive a recorded message from the district’s computer dialing system. If your student will be out of school for an extended period of time (five school days or longer), please contact the House Office.
Readmits are completed in the House Offices.
All students returning from an absence must first report to their House Office, whether or not the student has a note. Students are to conduct business before school begins to avoid being tardy. The student must have proper ID and a signed note containing the following information:
- Student’s Name (First and Last) and 6-digit I.D. number
- Date of absence; period(s) absent if less than an entire day
- Reason for the absence
- Printed Name and Signature of parent/guardian.
- Phone number where parent/guardian can be reached for verification
There are legal consequences if your student misses too much school. You must send a note to be given to your House Office within 72 hours to clear any unresolved absences. Unresolved absences result in a recorded truancy after three days.
Method of Verification (SMMUSD AR 5113)
When a student who has been absent returns to school, he/she shall present a satisfactory explanation verifying the reason for the absence. Absences shall be verified by the student's parent/guardian, other person having control of the minor, or the student if age 18 or older. (Education Code 46012; 5 CCR 306)
The following methods may be used to verify student absences:
- Written note, fax, or email from parent/guardian or parent representative.
- Conversation, in person or by telephone, between the verifying employee and the student's parent/guardian or parent representative. The employee shall subsequently record the following:
a. Name of student
b. Name of parent/guardian or parent representative
c. Name of verifying employee
d. Date(s) of absence (or period(s) if the absence was less than 1 day)
e. Reason for absence
- Visit to the student's home by the verifying employee, or any other reasonable method which establishes the fact that the student was absent for the reasons stated. The employee shall document the verification and include the information specified in item #2 above.
- Physician's verification.
a. When excusing students for confidential medical services or verifying such appointments, district staff shall not ask the purpose of such appointments but may contact a medical office to confirm the time of the appointment.
b. When a student has had 5 full-day absences in the school year for illness verified by methods listed in #1-3 above, any further absences for illness shall be verified by a physician.