New Student Enrollment
ENROLLING NEXT YEAR'S KINDERGARTENERS IN SMMUSD
2023-24 School Year:
Elementary schools throughout the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District will be welcoming resident parents of incoming TK or Kindergartners to tour the schools and find out more about enrolling their children for the 2023-24 school year. The events are planned for January 26, 2023. More information is coming soon.
New Student Registration for Santa Monica and Malibu Residents
Registering your child at a school for the first time can be relatively easy if you are prepared. The following are a few
guidelines to help you:
- Registration takes place at your neighborhood school, starting February 6, 2023. (In order to find your school, click here.)
- In order to pick up an enrollment packet, you will need to bring in your full proof of residency. Click here for examples of proof of residency. Incomplete documents will not be accepted.
- You will need to verify your child's birth date with a birth certificate or passport.
- When returning the enrollment packet, you will need to bring complete immunization records for all students and a doctor's verification of a physical examination for Kindergarten and First Graders. Up-to-date immunizations must be completed before your child may enter the classroom. Click here to see immunization requirements.
- For Elementary School enrollment, you will need to provide a recent report card, with exit grades/progress report. (for mid-year enrollment only).
- Sign up HERE to return your complete enrollment packet.
For information regarding permits please click the following link: SMMUSD PERMITS INFORMATION
Click on the link and enter your address to find your child's home school and location.
Birthdate Enrollment Guidelines
School Attendance Boundaries
In order to alleviate overcrowding, the Superintendent or designee may place some students in a school outside of their residential attendance area. Parents / guardians of students who are attending schools outside of their residential attendance area shall be notified of the school their child will be attending as soon as possible. (Ref. BP 5116)